Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pushing the Limits

 

 

Title: Pushing the Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Series: Pushing the Limits #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: July 31, 2012
Pages: 392 (+ Excerpt=403), Hardcover


No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.                                                                                -Goodreads

   
Okay... So when I read the little summary I was a little wary about getting the book but after a while the book kept calling me to read it. So I finally bought the book and was shocked about how amazing the book was! I enjoyed the two point of views between Noah and Echo. Both of them had pasts that were hard to deal with and both wanted to move past but they couldn't until they met each other. And when you figure the tragedies then you could be really hurt. When I read the beginning, the arguments Echo and her family had made me want to laugh at little because of how much she hated it them. At first I hated the Dad but eventually I loved like Echo did. Also how I hated the couple that took in Noah's brothers and thought they were wrong to keep Noah's brothers but I also loved them in the end. The way Katie wrote the book made me feel like I was actually there and experiencing it. It only took me like (technically) three days.

Echo Emerson has been through a traumatic night that ruined everything for her nearly two years ago. She also lost her brother after he joined the Army. That night somehow her mother was involved and now she has scars all over her arms. It turns out the she had suppressed the extremely traumatic night into the entire day. The night terrors she has at night turns out to be her memories coming and going but had been forced into therapy by her pushy father and stepmother who she had despised and had been her former babysitter,Ashley, to remember that night. But that isn't her only problem. Her father has been pushing into business classes but her passion stays in art. Ashley is also pregnant with a child and her father only focuses on Ashley. He seems to be ready for a normal family and so he's trying to fix Echo and Ashley's baby will also help with the "normal" family. Echo lost her popularity, her friends, her family and boyfriend to that one night.

Noah Hutchins is bad boy, drug-user, and girl-user with a goal to unite with his brothers again after a house fire took his family away. He is considered "emotionally unstable" by Social Services and has limited visits to his brothers. To gain custody, he has to prove his worthiness and believes the current family the inhabits his brothers are abusing them. His goal begins to change after spending time with Echo. The more time they spend together the more of choice he has to pick. His brothers or Echo? And I loved the outcome.

When they first met it was a little...ok, it was a huge disaster. When Echo left Mrs. Collins's office (I LOVE Mrs. Collins) and sits down waiting for the dates to the ACT and SAT (forced to take again because of the control freak of a father), Noah happened to have been sitting down the row from hers, but he happened to have said the most stupidest thing possible:

                "You've got a fucked-up name," I mumbled. I didn't know why I wanted to rattle her, I just did.
               "Shouldn't you be getting high in the bathroom?"
               So she did know me. "They installed security cameras. We do it in the parking lot now."
               "My bad." Her foot rocked frantically back and forth.
               Good, I'd succeeded in getting under that perfect facade.
"Echo...echo...echo..."
               Her foot stopped rocking and red curls bounced furiously as she turned to face me. "How original. I've never heard that before." She swept up her backpack and left the office. Her tight ass swayed side to side as she marched down the hallway. That wasn't nearly as fun as I'd thought it would be. In fact, I kind of felt like a dick.
                                                           -page 20, Noah's POV

But that didn't stop fate from making them meet over and over. Mrs. Collins also butted in and Echo became Noah's math tutor which is also when he saw her scars. They were in the parking lot and she slipped and when he grabbed her, he saw the scars but he wasn't revolted, he asked instead. And that's where their relationship began.

Some flaws I found where that sometimes I just felt like skipping parts but I didn't because I knew that they were important to the plot. Also some details were... I have no way to describe it's that I guess the scene would cause an emotion I wouldn't want whether it's a scene that will make me grin like an idiot or the protagonists fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment